2.14.2006

srecan dan zaljubljenih, love days and i want a romantic tow truck ride

First I want to thank Lisa for corroborating my story that serbo-croatian is, in fact, one of the most terrible and difficult languages out there. So, just in case she doesn't come here to comment, I will share her words: in regards to the phrase "happy love day" (srecan dan zaljubljenih), she says, "Wow. Is that a real language?" And this coming from a speech pathologist. Yes Lisa, yes it is.

Now, in regards to the second order of business, we have my serbo-croatian lesson (lekcija srpski-hrvatski), during which I discovered that they do not in fact have Valentines Day at all. Only they do. See, because they are Orthodox, they don't have Saint Valentine, but instead have substituted Saint Trifun, who, in effect has nothing to do with love at all because that's not what Orthodoxy is about. Really. Because it's a lot about suffering, and dying for causes, you know? And besides, earthly love is fleeting, and no one should celebrate that let alone feel that because he/she should be more concentrated on loving God. But, in the end, the people over in Serbia and Croatia (don't tell them I just grouped them together like that) it's all about corpratism and being like the West, becasue that's cool, so they now have Valentines day, with Saint Trifun, called dan zaljubljenih, which, in actual fact, just means happy love day. I definitley approve...it's much more explicit anyway.

So third, in regards to this Valentines/Trifun/love day, I want to salute all those phenomenal romantic things that seem to be happening to a lot of people these days (see the reference to romantic tow trucks in the title). Sigh...maybe love is in the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had to have a tow-truck come on valentine's day- trust me, its overrated. Its not romantic at all.